Here you will find an overview of the fields of law our attorneys practice.
OUR FIELD OF LAW
What should I do after an auto accident?
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible
- Document the incident (who was involved, where it took place, how it happened)
- Gather information a’
- bout the accident (license plate numbers, name and contact info, driver’s license information, year and model of the vehicles involved, contact information of any witnesses from the scene, take any photos or video of the accident scene and/or cars involved.)
What is an Auto Accident?
A car accident, also referred to as a “traffic collision,” or a “motor vehicle accident,” occurs when a motor vehicle strikes or collides another vehicle, a stationary object, a pedestrian, or an animal. While some car accidents result only in property damage, others result in severe injuries or death. There are many factors that can contribute to car accidents, and sometimes have legal consequences. To explore this concept, consider the following:
What negligence in an auto accident looks like?
In the case of an auto accident, negligence often means that a driver failed to exercise the care toward others which a reasonable person would do in the circumstances or took action that a reasonable person would not under the circumstances.
What does it take to prove negligence in an auto accident?
- In order to prove negligence in an auto accident, the first step is to illustrate that the defendant owed you a duty of care. This duty is often established via an implied duty of care which comes from the California traffic laws.
- The second step is to determine that the established duty of care has been breached. This is an objective standard, so the defendant had to act as any other reasonable person would in the same situation. If you can show that a reasonable person wouldn’t have reacted the same way, then proving a breach of duty should not be difficult.
- The third and fourth steps are causation and damages and are often connected to one another. You must show that as a result of the breach, you have suffered some form of damages and that those damages were caused by the defendant’s negligence.
What are considered “damages” in a personal injury case?
The calculation of damages in a personal injury case depends on the loss suffered by the injured party. Damages usually include medical expenses to treat injuries or the cost to replace or fix the damaged property. However, damages can include more than just money directly used to address injuries. Most damages under two categories: Economic damages and non-economic damages. Economic damages take the form of lost earnings, lost earning capacity, medical bills, and other financial losses. Non-economic damages include pain and suffering, mental anguish, as well as what is called loss of consortium (interference in the spousal or parent-child relationship).
10 steps to take after an accident
- Stop, call 911 and get help for any injured parties on the scene.
- As soon as an accident happens, we are often left in a state of shock. The first step in any automobile accident is to make sure you and any other party have not been seriously injured and to contact 911.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with other party.
- After 911 has been called and any immediate injuries have been addressed, exchange contact and insurance information with the other party(ies). Gathering this information early will help move the case along for all parties involved.
- Gather information of possible witnesses at the scene of accident.
- Many times, other pedestrians or drivers will have witnessed the accident take place. If you speak with any person that was not a party in the accident but who has information about the accident, collect their contact information.
- Contact law enforcement and fill out police report.
- When law enforcement arrives at the scene, they will begin conducting an accident investigation. It is important that at this time you report to the officer all of the details that you remember from the accident, as well as any injuries you have immediately suffered as a result of the accident. Also ask the officer to take the statements of any witness who was at the scene.
- Accept medical attention at the scene. If needed, take an ambulance to the hospital.
- Once the law enforcement agents arrive on the scene of an accident, you will be asked if you need an ambulance. If you have any doubts about your medical condition, take the ambulance to the hospital without question. It is better to take any measures to ensure that you get the medical attention you need.
- Inform the medical experts of all the injuries you feel.
- Once you have been transported to a hospital or are seen by a medical expert, describe the accident in detail to them as well as all injuries or pain you have suffered from the accident. It is important to record all the injuries you’ve suffered early on in the case.
- Call and talk to us.
- Accidents can be an overwhelming experience for anyone involved. We want you to know that we are here for you, available help in every way possible and that you never feel alone. Our staff is trained in specifically dealing with personal injury cases. Call and talk to us for a free consultation at any point in the process and get the helping hand you need.
- Report to your car insurance company.
- After seeking medical attention, it is important to contact your insurance company to file a claim. During this process make sure to provide your insurance with all of the information you exchanged with the other parties at the scene of the accident.
- Continue to treat your injuries as needed until you have healed.
- Treating the injuries of an automobile accident takes time, often up to several months following the accident. It is important for you to get continued medical treatment as needed and to be consistent with that treatment.
- Keep an ongoing record of all contact you have had with law enforcement, insurance providers and medical professionals throughout your accident.
- Keeping an accurate and up to date record of important documents related to the accident will help your case. Although it’s not required, keeping accurate records of the accident and injuries associated will paint the complete picture of your case and help answer any questions that arise.
- Stop, call 911 and get help for any injured parties on the scene.
Motorcycle riders are at a higher risk than most other drivers because they don’t have the same protection as other drivers. Motorcycle riders often sustain more serious injuries than those involved in other automobile accidents. The trained professionals at Shamon Law have years of experience dealing with motorcycle accidents and will fight to ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries. Our goal is to make the process as easy and trouble free as possible for our clients to ensure that you can make a full recovery without worrying about the accident itself.
SLIP & FALL ACCIDENTS
Slip and fall cases, or “premise liability” as they are commonly known, take place every day in California. In order for a slip and fall victim to have a valid claim, the victim must show that the accident was due to the negligence of another person. This can be shown if the slip and fall was a result of an uncleaned spill, plumbing leak, uneven floors, unkept cords or wires, loose carpeting, or another hazard. If you have slipped, fell and sustained injuries, you may be entitled to compensation for your suffering. Contact our office today for a free consultation from our trained staff.
- Millions of people are bitten by dogs every year in the United States. Most of the bites aren’t serious, but some may result in time lost from work, medical bills, and additional suffering.
- California law states that the owner of any dog is liable for the damages suffered by any person who is bitten by the dog while in a public place or lawfully in a private place, including the property of the owner of the dog, regardless of the former viciousness of the dog or the owner’s knowledge of such viciousness.
- Who is liable for a dog bite in California
- California is a “strict liability” state when dealing with dog bite cases. This means that the owner of a dog cannot claim that they are not responsible for
Potential damages from a dog bite case may include medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other expenses associated with the injury.
Our firm understands that death is the most challenging time for any family. If you have lost a family member due to the negligence of another, you may be able to file a claim for compensation. Our team will guide and support you during this trying time, establish a strong case for you, and take over the case so you can focus on your family’s coping and well-being.
Each year, more than 500,000 people in the US are treated in emergency rooms, and more than 700 people die as a result of bicycle-related injuries. These accidents are often the result of negligent drivers who disobey the traffic laws that are in place to protect cyclists. Most cycling personal injury lawsuits include a legal claim for negligence. Negligence is defined as the failure by someone to act with the level of care that a reasonable person would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances. If you are able to establish that the driver was acting negligently when you were injured, then you may be awarded compensation for your injuries.
What does negligence in a bicycling accident look like?
In the case of a bicycling accident, negligence often means that a driver failed to exercise the care toward others which a reasonable person would do in the circumstances or took action that a reasonable person would not under the circumstances.
What does it take to prove negligence in a bicycle accident?
- In order to prove negligence in a bicycling accident, the first step is to illustrate that the defendant owed you a duty of care. This duty is often established via an implied duty of care which comes from the California traffic laws.
- The second step is to determine that the established duty of care has been breached. This is an objective standard, so the defendant had to act as any other reasonable person would in the same situation.
- The final steps are causation and damages and are often connected to one another. You must show that as a result of the breach, you have suffered some form of damages and that those damages were caused by the defendant’s negligence.
What is considered “damages” in a personal injury case?
The calculation of damages in a personal injury case depends on the losses suffered by the injured party. Damages usually include medical expenses to treat injuries or the cost to replace or fix the damaged property. However, damages can include more than just money directly used to address injuries. Most damages fall under two categories: Economic damages and non-economic damages. Economic damages take the form of lost earnings, lost earning capacity, medical bills, and other financial losses. Non-economic damages include pain and suffering, mental anguish, as well as what is called loss of consortium (interference in the spousal or parent-child relationship).
OTHER LEGAL FIELDS
We will gladly represent you in cases regarding:
- Slip/trip & fall
- Car & Motorcycle accidents
WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS SAY ABOUT US
"What a great experience with Shamon Law. Not only were they professional about the work but they were approachable, which makes for a great mix for a lawyer. "
"I got my rental security deposit back thanks to Shamon Law. He got me my full amount back within one week. Anonymous"
"Stewart is always there for me anytime I need him! He does not disappoint and is always on it trying to help you out in any way he can. He's helped me collect from people who owed me money and also set up corporations and an LLC for my other businesses. He's honest and organized, he gives you the truth not only what you want to hear so you always feel informed and know what direction you want to move in! If you need a lawyer, go to Shamon law, you won't find a better attorney!"
"Stewart has been helpful, knowledgeable, efficient, effective, and fair. I made an appointment and explained my situation. Stewart took care of everything and I received progress emails/phone calls. I would definitely refer him to anyone without a doubt. I will use his services any time I need him."
"Stewart Shamon is probably one of the most knowledgable lawyers I have ever dealt with. He has great experience in the field and I can count on him to accomplish what is needed in cases. Mr. Shamon is always on top of his clients and keeps them informed. I highly recommend Mr. Shamon for any assistance needed, whether they are felonies or misdemeanors. He will not let you down. Call Mr. Stewart Shamon today!"
"Stewart has been on top of my case for months and despite it lingering on, he has kept in touch constantly and updated me on our progress. I've been patient due to Stewart's notifications. His appeal is easily the friendly manner and great conversations he will stir up. He is definitely honest and candid, which are by far the great qualities which push me to recommend him to anyone needing legal counsel."
"Stewart Shamon exceeds my expectations and always finds a way to help me. There is no other lawyer I trust more this Mr. Shamon because he always keeps me in the loop and responds to my questions right away. I recommend him to anyone who needs a lawyer he is top notch. He has exceptional knowledge in his field and always knows what to do and how to properly deal with any situation."
"My boyfriend was in a car accident that resulted with some pretty bad injuries needing surgery we went and spoke with Stewart about the accident and how to go about the insurance claim and he has been 100% honest and helpful he has kept us completely updated with information during the first meeting he was very polite and truly listened and discussed everything in full detail about the contract agreement with him and about how the whole situation goes and how to go about handling everything he is an amazing lawyer that does his best to help his client in every way possible and very quick with getting things started!! I would refer him to everyone I know."
"Stewart is the best in the business, honest and reliable. He always returned my calls and answered all of my questions. I was very happy with the job he did and I would recommend him to everyone!!"
"When I had my identity stolen I didn't know what to do. I had companies calling me, threatening me with legal action and pursing criminal charges against me if I didn't return the stolen items and pay back the date the Identity thieves ran up in my name. I was cornered without any proof and without many options . I reached out to Attorney Shamon, and he was beyond helpful. At a time where I was panicking and a nervous wreck. Stewart was professional, calm, sincere and efficient in hearing my case and proactive in resolving it. His diligence and interest to hear what I had to say and know my side of the story wasn't something I was used to when dealing with attorneys. Mr. Shamon reassured me that he would handle my case and prove my innocence. His relentless work ethic,attention to detail and sensitivity with my case helped stop the bleeding sooner rather then later. He redirected all the harassing calls to him,intervened with the debt collectors and had me redirect all matters regarding these matters to him. He cleared my innocent name of all charges, everything was dismissed and a huge HUGE weight was lifted off my shoulders. I couldn't have been more grateful for what Attorney Shamon did for me. And the best part was his meticulous work ethic and enthusiasm gave me reassurance and comfort in a time when everything in my life was in doubt. Everything a lawyer is suppose to perform Mr. Shamon fulfilled it and surpassed it. Nobody likes dealing with the law or legal matters, but knowing you have an attorney like him fighting for you, will allow you to sleep better knowing you have nothing to worry about. And that your name and rights will be represented in the utmost professional way. If you need a lawyer,then this law office is where you need to go to.Thank you to Shamon Law for all you did for me."
If you have any legal problem in your life ... We are available